Sunday, September 21, 2008

"The truth is that the poet is a very near kinsman of the orator"

Methinks I love Cicero. Easier to read than our previous adventures (does that make me lazy? I think not), he seems to have something to say about everything.

The title quotation, from De Oratore, page 299 in The Rhetorical Tradition, was an idea that I think I'd like to latch on to. Here in its entirety:

"The truth is that the poet is a very near kinsman of the orator, rather more heavily fettered as regards rhythm, but with ampler freedom in his choice of words, while in the use of many sorts of ornament he is his ally and almost his counterpart."

Not something that we think about a lot, especially if I pull the idea out of Cicero and implant it into today's society: poets and politicians are not always likened to one another, nevermind mentioned as allies and counterparts, in our modern political world. Although, now that I think about it, there are a lot of famous political speeches, but those that are most famous are from times past (that only follows linear time logic, since I can't know what someone will orate about in the future, but still, my argument stands, I think). For example, "Four score and seven years ago" is a familiar quotation, certainly, and I think most would agree it has some poetic qualities, but I don't think anyone would listen to George W. and think, "Ah...the sweet, sweet sounds of political poetry."

Where has that love of poetics gone? Does it exist somewhere and I'm just missing it? Words are chosen based on persuasive effectiveness, not much more. But, is that what poets do, too?

Some things to ponder, for certain.

No comments: